Thursday, September 29, 2005

Emily’s New Birthday!

September 27, 2005

12:30 a.m. PST

Krystal and I made it to the UCLA Medical Center in about 5 ½ hours. Emily was supposed to have already been in surgery but issues at the donor hospital delayed the start of the surgery. We got to spend about 15-20 min. with her. She was very happy to see use and I can’t describe how good it felt for me. She was in great spirits and was ready to get this done.

1:00 a.m. PST

Emily is moved to the surgical area. It was quite a sight watching the move. She had a huge amount of equipment so there were several people helping. Since she has been on a respirator prior to the surgery she was ‘bagged" on the way to the O.R. At one point the guy squeezing the bag could not keep up and Emily took over the duty herself. In the surgical area we met members of the team and were given an outline of what would be happening. The most important step in the beginning is the ‘visualization" of the heart. It is not until they see the donor heart that the final decission is made to proceed with the surgery. We would be getting a call once the visualization was complete. This was going to be a tough wait.

2:30 a.m. PST

We got the call in the surgical waiting area that they had completed the visualization and the heart is "perfect" for Emily. Wow! What great news. Now she will be sedated and they will complete the sugical prep. The ETA on the heart at UCLA was 3:45 a.m. We found out later that Emily moved herself onto the operating table!

4:10 a.m. PST

The next call from the O.R. and Emily has been placed on the heart-lung machine and the heart was at UCLA. Time for the transfer. The next 2 hours are going to be even tougher!

6:00 a.m. PST

Emily’s new heart is in and beating on its own! She is off the heart-lung machine and now they will watch her for about 2 hours to make sure there is no bleeding. After that they will close her up and this part will be over!

9:30 a.m. PST

Emily is back in the 4East ICU. She is still asleep but everything is looking really good. The new heart is being paced and they tell me it looks normal, I’ll take their word for it. She has very few drips going and this makes the staff happy as well. All of this is great news but I suppose I don’t fully understand how good it is. I am just happy to see her. We were all exhausted and so it was time for food and sleep. We headed back to the Ronald McDOnald House for some sleep.

4:00 p.m. PST

After about 3 hours of sleep we are back at the hospital. Emily is awake and doing great! No signs of complications and very little bleeding. She still has the respirator on and a bunch of tubes sticking out be she looks so much better than just a few hours ago. They will begin to turn the respirator down today in preparation for removing it in the morning.

9:00 p.m. PST

After dinner it was back to the RMH for sleep. What an increadible day! Words cannot describe the emmotional rollercoster of this day. Emily is doing great and that is all that matters!


B said...

Robert, Best news! Glenn and I are just so happy for you all. I've kept refreshing your page almost hourly for news. We got lots of people up here rooting for you all. Lots of love.

Becky & Glenn

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know that Emily has a new heart! I don't know her, but she has come to mind often since I read of her in the West Valley View. I continue to lift you all up in prayer -- can't tell you how my heart smiled when I read the news. You can tell her that she is loved, even by people who have never met her. I pray each day brings new strength and peace.

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO....from the random guy in the blogosphere. Ever since running across the post where they found a heart, I feel like i've been in the middle of a novel anticipating the next page. its so exciting to hear the news. These are the stories that need to be on the front page of the news. Again, I don't know you all but I have so much love and respect for you.

From across the country with resounding cheer....congratulations and we pray that all will continue to go well.


Anonymous said...

Hooray for Emily in particular, you and your family in general. We will continue to wish you all the best in the continuing progress.


Anonymous said...

Rob, thanks for the updates, many people have been praying for Emily(even in Guam!), and they are greatly relieved and thankful.

Lots of warm karma

The Mad Tech said...

That's Great News Robert!!!!
We have all been prayering for Emily ad the rest of the family.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the surgery turned out well. I have been following this since it came out in the West Valley View. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Litchfield Park, Az

Anonymous said...

Hooray, Emily! I have known your Daddy for some time. He has always been a favorite of mine. If you are anything like him, then I love you to. I will keep you both in my prayers. God’s speed.
Old Man.

Anonymous said...

Well, Emily not sure if you are reading these, but you you sure have a lot of people pulling for you. tried to think of a blonde joke,sorry none comes to mind. Well katie,laura,lydia along with myself are praying and wishin' you the speedest recovery
with all our love
uncle lee