Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Last Day of Work...and Other Stuff

Well, today was the last day of work for me. My place of employment for the last 4+ years has closed and our jobs have been relocated. I just want to wish my (ex) co-workers good luck on their new endeavors. A surprising number have already found new jobs and most seem to have done very well for themselves. I, on the other hand, am still looking. I didn't start looking for work until about two weeks ago and so far I have had a couple of calls and an interview. Tomorrow I will start putting some serious effort into the search.

On a completely different note, I have to bring everyone up-to-date of my latest listening, reading watching - always a popular feature.

Reading: I have been on a William Gibson kick for the last couple of months and I think I am getting close to being caught up. Last month (or was it the month before) I read Idoru. At the time I was unaware that this book is somewhat of a sequel to the book Virtual Light. Recently I returned to Virtual Light for a much needed re-read. I originally read the book years ago, when it was first released. At the time I liked the book but I didn't get it. Upon re-reading I found a book that was much better than I remembered. It was not until I read the third book in the series - All Tomorrow's Parties - that these three books are linked. They are not a trilogy in the traditional sense but they do share key characters and settings. These three books are highly recommended and should be read in order. Gibson's writing style is unbelievable - the way he can draw a picture so vividly with only a few words. A true talent.

Listening: Mostly I have been trying to listen to all the new stuff that I have added to the collection in the last year. The CD that has been getting the most play in the last few days is The Reason by Hoobastank. This is a very good driving CD - now if I only had a good car to play it in.

Watching: Like most people I know, I have been watching the new Star Wars movie - Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith. I must confess that I am a mild Star Wars geek - no costumes though. All-in-all the movie is very good and exactly what you would expect from a George Lucas film. It has lots of action and great special effects. On the downside, the dialog is crappy and the plot is terrible. I really could pick this movie to pieces - and in the future I may do a full and detailed breakdown of the Star Wars universe. Damn I'm such a geek!
Okay, that's all for now. I will get back to the news in the near future. I might also have some info on my 'new' Mac G4...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey unemployed little brother,
You'll get that car, I have no doubt. Since you have the well read background, why don't you write a book?
Great posts!
Kent