Wednesday, November 24, 2004

The Incredibles

Yesterday was my birthday and I decided to see a free movie at the local Harkin's theater. I had been wanting to see this movie for weeks and then the day before it was released I heard a review on a local talk radio program. The reviewer was raving about the movie and then it was mentioned that the plot owns a lot to the ideas of Ayn Rand. Well, I was floored. I am a huge fan of her work and am very intrigued by her Objectivist philosophy. This philosophy is the entire basis of the movie.

Needless to say, I was blown away! This is a great movie (as I am sure most of you already know)! Of course the animation is beautiful but the characters are so perfect; it is like you know these people. When Mr. Incredible is sitting in his cube I could totally relate.

The underlining message - society holds back the exceptional people - is stark. When Mr Incredible tells his number one fan that everyone is special, he replies that that really means no one is special. Think about that for a monent. We really do try to limit people rather than encourage them to excell. If you do not believe me take a look at the public schools.

Lessons everyone should learn from this movie:
1. be the best you can be
2. never try to change the people you love, help them be their best

There are a lot more lessons in this one but I think these two are the most important. This is a must see movie.

UPDATE: Here is a good review of the movie that explains the Objectivist connection much better than I can.

2 comments:

Misty said...

This reminds me of the short story "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut. Have you read it? (here's a copy: http://www.libertarianthought.com/texts/harrison.html). I read Rand's Atlas Shrugged and fell in love with it. Though of course aspects of her philosophy are too harsh to live out, I can emphasize very strongly with it. It will be interesting to watch the movie and see the aspects you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

Yo bro,
I'll probably see that movie since you and Bryan both say it's good. Happy B-Day again, wish I could have been there...